|Marketing Bulletin No. 80|
April 11, 1997
NPL Revision 4.22 for MS-DOS & Windows Platforms
NPL Revision 4.22 is another step forward for Release IV on NPL Supported MS-DOS Operating Environments (including MS-Windows 3.x, Windows 95, Windows NT, Novell, supported NetBIOS platforms and Phar Lap 386/DOS-Extender versions). NPL Revision 4.22 replaces all prior Release IV versions on these supported platforms.
A major enhancement in NPL Revision 4.22 is the new NPL Universal Upgrade Package, providing a user-friendly, intuitive process that simplifies NPL revision level upgrades from earlier NPL versions. This new procedure was developed in response to feedback received from many developers who felt our NPL Revision 4.21 No Return Required Upgrade was not easy enough to use. We agreed and completely revamped the upgrade routine to make the process remarkably simple and intuitive. Then we took it one step further and eliminated the need for ordering individual upgrades for every unique upgrade combination. Instead, its now a "one upgrade fits all" product, thus the name NPL Universal Upgrade, which can be customized for individual requirements by way of our new registration based security. For those who have tried the No Return Required Upgrade, we are positive you will be amazed at the difference you will discover with this new Universal Upgrade!
NPL Revision 4.22 Universal Upgrade FEATURES
The NPL Universal Upgrade Package fills an important role in the NPL product line. The Upgrade Package contains the NPL RunTime Replacement Gold Key Diskette which is distinct from a standard NPL Gold Key in that it inherits all of the characteristics of the original NPL Gold Key (i.e., keeps the same serial number and #GOLDKEY number), and in many instances (depending on the upgrade purchased) provides additional functionality. Best of all, it deactivates the original NPL Gold Key eliminating the need to return the older version RunTime back to Niakwa!
Once the Revision 4.22 NPL RunTime Replacement Gold Key Diskette is in place, future enhancements such as increasing the user license and adding additional NPL platform support can easily be accomplished by means of a registration code, without requiring a new Gold Key!
Specific improvements contained in the NPL Universal Upgrade include:
- One "generic" upgrade package instead of multiple versions
One NPL Universal Upgrade Package can be used to upgrade one existing NPL Gold Key from either Rev 3.x or Rev 4.x. Our new registration code security controls the platforms and number of users of the actual upgrade. When an upgrade order is placed, we will send you the new NPL Universal Upgrade Package containing the NPL RunTime Replacement Gold Key Diskette. In addition, we will issue a new registration code based on the original Gold Key Serial Number (required at the time of order) and the desired new upgrade details which you specify. This registration code will be provided to you on a newly created Certificate of License and Authenticity card.
- One upgrade step instead of two
We have streamlined the upgrade process so that the upgrade can be completed as a one time process. In addition, you can choose a 30 day "trial period", where you can access the old and the new software version. Before the end of 30 days, you have the option of "accepting" the upgrade permanently.
- User friendly menu prompting
The NPL Universal Upgrade Package contains a new self prompting user-friendly menu for completing the upgrade process quickly and easily, and in most cases without even looking at the upgrade booklet.
Features of All New & Upgrade Versions of Revision 4.22:
When making changes of this nature, theres no reason to stop with one improvement, so we will deliver the following list of additional enhancements for all new and upgrade Revision 4.22 RunTimes:
- NEW! Improved A:\SETUP procedures for installing new NPL MS-Windows based RunTimes under Windows or DOS.
- NEW! New line editor functions of CUT, COPY, DELETE, PASTE and UNDO.
- NEW! Text selection in the editor with a mouse or from the keyboard.
- NEW! Block indent and de-indent of selected edited text.
- NEW! Ability to add users, functionality, or both by means of a registration code using the LIMIT Procedure.
Pricing & Product Distribution
There have been no changes made to current pricing of new or upgrade RunTimes. There has been a change in the way upgrade products will be distributed.
For all future upgrades (Revision Level, Adding Windows or 386 Functionality, or Adding Users), Niakwa will ship the new NPL Universal Upgrade Package. It will now be a requirement that the Serial Number of the existing RunTime be provided at the time of order. This is the only way Niakwa can issue an accurate registration number.
To be sure that accurate information is provided to Niakwa, we have created the SHOWNPL program so that your end-user can provide this information to you at the time of their order. With the SHOWNPL program you can verify the NPL Revision, Number of Users, Platform, Product Number, and most importantly... Serial Number! This will eliminate the chance of misunderstandings or inaccurate order information.
SHOWNPL consists of a copyable batch file and NPL program. It can be found on every Revision 4.22 or higher RunTime, or downloaded from Niakwas Home Page (http://www.niakwa.com/library/shownpl.htm), or BBS (847-634-6227). We encourage you to distribute it to any customers who have a Niakwa Gold Key.
The benefits of this new upgrade procedure are numerous:
- No more old Gold Key returns will be needed on upgrades to Revision 4.22.
- End-Users can maintain same serial number and #GOLDKEY number for consistent records.
- Original Gold Key is identified early in process.
IMPORTANT: The original RunTime security of the Gold Key being upgraded must be recalled and present on the Gold Key Diskette in order for the Universal Upgrade procedure to be successful.
Standard NPL RunTime Package:
The standard Niakwa RunTime Package will continue to be shipped for new orders or replacements of defective or damaged software.
NPL Universal Upgrade Package:
For all upgrade orders, the new NPL Universal Upgrade Package will be shipped along with a Certificate of License and Authenticity which states the registration code needed to enable the NPL RunTime Replacement Gold Key Diskette. During the upgrade process, the NPL RunTime Replacement Gold Key Diskette inherits the existing serial number and #GOLDKEY number. For specific upgrade information, see below.
- From Revision 4.2x to 4.22 is considered a "no charge" update. All update files for the RunTime, Development Package, and related documentation can be obtained free of charge from our ftp site or BBS. (See the enclosed NPL 4.22 Product Reference Sheet for complete details.). If you prefer, a copyable update package containing the update RunTime and development files on diskette along with the latest addendum can also be obtained from Niakwa for a fee of $50 plus shipping. Please contact your authorized Niakwa Distributor to order. Niakwa will be shipping one copy of the update files and the Revision 4.22 addendum free of charge to all currently licensed North American Gold Distributors, International Distributors & Sublicensees, and Master Distributors.
- From Revision 4.xx (prior to 4.2x) to 4.22 is considered a "replacement", rather than an upgrade. The NPL RunTime Replacement Gold Key Diskette will be shipped for all upgrades along with a Certificate of License and Authenticity containing the registration code for the upgrade product ordered. Standard Replacement pricing will apply when there is no change to platforms or users.
- From Revision 3.xx to 4.22 is considered a "revision level upgrade". The NPL RunTime Replacement Gold Key Diskette will be shipped for all upgrades along with a Certificate of License and Authenticity containing the registration code of the upgrade product ordered. Standard Upgrade pricing will apply - no changes to current calculations from Rev 3.xx to 4.xx.
As with all previous Release IV versions, Revision 4.22 for Intel DOS based platforms will require that you have the development manuals for Release IV and the associated platform specific supplements. These manuals have not changed from earlier Release IV versions except for the individual addenda. The latest addendum for Revision 4.22, as well as previous Release IV addenda can be obtained free of charge from Niakwas Home Page on the World Wide Web: http://www.niakwa.com/support/, or from the Niakwa BBS at (847) 634-6227.
The beta period is now concluded. Final product release is scheduled to begin in April.
Please find the following enclosures with this marketing bulletin: