Niakwa On-Line News Brief
Volume 3 No. 5 Community News & Information March 12, 1999
This is a correction to our latest On-Line News Brief, Volume 3, No. 5. The final release of NPL Revision 5.01 is anticipated for mid to late second quarter of 1999. The corrected version follows.
In This Issue:
* NPL RELEASE 5.01 BETA RELEASE HITS THE ROAD
* NPL RELEASE V FOR SCO UNIX
* NDM TCP/IP GATEWAY TO HIGHLIGHT NIAKWA IDE UPDATE
IN OUR NEXT ISSUE: A 5.1 PREVIEW!
NPL RELEASE 5.01 BETA RELEASE HITS THE ROAD
Niakwa is pleased to announce the next phase of NPL Release V has entered beta testing. The following discusses all new and updated NPL RunTime and Niakwa IDE components that will be available in the final release of NPL Revision 5.01.
While the NDM TCP/IP Gateway and SCO Unix 5.01 will highlight the revision 5.01 Niakwa IDE rollout, several notable product updates will be included on the Niakwa IDE CD-ROM. Specifically:
* NDM Documentation is included in HTML Help format.
* NPL Release 5.01 executable maintenance updates (RTIWIN32 and RTPWIN32) containing authentication enhancements to handle Netware 5.0 IP only networks. Netware 5.0 is only supported by Niakwa's 32-bit Windows RunTime. In addition, these new executables include all bug corrections introduced since the initial rollout of NPL Release 5.0.
* NPL Release 4.30 executable updates (RTI, RTP, RTI386, RTP386, RTIWIN, RTPWIN) containing bug corrections introduced since the initial rollout of NPL Release 4.30.
The final release of NPL Revision 5.01 is anticipated for mid to late second quarter of 1999.
NPL RELEASE V FOR SCO UNIX
In 5.01, the NPL SCO Unix platform is brought into compliance with NPL Release V, introducing a number of new statements and syntax improvements to the language. Some of these enhancements are:
* New language statements including a Year 2000 compliant $LDATE.
* Enhanced Universal Upgrade procedure.
* Enhanced boolean expressions allows using a numeric expression as a boolean.
* Parenthesis are now permitted to group logical conditions.
This new version of Niakwa's popular Unix RunTime product has been migrated from it's MASM source to Niakwa's "C" port, thus synchronizing with Niakwa's 32-bit Windows RunTime product. As a result, this will shorten the development cycle time required to keep the NPL Intel Unix platform current with applicable changes in our 32-bit Windows RunTime product, since the two now share a common set of source code.
The Beta of 5.01 for SCO Unix is available now. If you are interested in participating, please contact Rich Lindas at email@example.com.
NDM TCP/IP GATEWAY TO HIGHLIGHT NIAKWA IDE UPDATE
The NDM TCP/IP Gateway has entered beta testing and will ship in final form as part of the Revision 5.01 Niakwa IDE. This new entry into the Open NDM product line allows NPL developers to use the NPL 32-bit Windows RunTime to directly access Informix C-ISAM databases located on remote SCO Unix servers via a TCP/IP connection.
The NDM TCP/IP Gateway Beta is available now. If you are interested in participating, please contact Rich Lindas at firstname.lastname@example.org