|July 19, 1994 No. 75|
Wang 2236DE/DW Terminal Support Under AIX on the IBM RS/6000
Niakwa is pleased to announce that we have successfully confirmed the support of the DigiCHANNEL C/X Multi-terminal controller system with Wang 2236 DE/DW terminals on the IBM RS/6000 with NPL (refer to TN #47).
DigiBoard has successfully added support for the Wang 2236 DE/DW terminals through the implementation of a new option in their drivers which IBM has incorporated into AIX Revision 3.2.5. For this support, 2200flow must be enabled when configuring 2236 terminals for operation -- refer to the "Setting Terminal Options" chapter in the DigiBoard Software Installation and Operation Manual for detailed instructions.
All terminal features discussed in Appendix D of the NPL Programmer's Guide appear to operate as documented with the following exceptions:
- Terminal flow control settings should be set to 19200 baud or lower and data settings should match that on the port.
- The default stty value '^@' of the "swtch" and "susp" parameters must be remapped since ^@, HEX(00), is the value generated by FN 0 on a 2236 terminal. A keyboard sequence that the Wang 2236 keyboard can't generate is recommended due to effects on the use of SF keys for other Wang 2236 generated key sequences. For example:
stty swtch '^\\' susp '^\\'
- The Wang 2236 HALT key is supported with 2200flow but not with the default system settings. We have confirmed that the entry:
stty intr '^S' stop '^C'
works as an alternative. In addition, the HELP key can be used to halt a program by selecting the RESET option once the Help Screen appears.
NOTE: Shift+SF'1 may also cause the system to halt once the above has been set.
- A new NPL Wang keyboard file is necessary for proper operation. Please contact Niakwa for more information on obtaining.
- New NPL executables are also required. Please contact Niakwa for more information on obtaining.
Requirements for Wang 2236DE/DW terminal support is this environment include:
- AIX Revision 3.2.5
- DigiBOARD Adapter
- DigiCHANNEL C/X Multi-terminal controller (box)
NOTE: Competitive boards from IBM and CHASE also claim to offer support for the Wang 2236DE/DW terminals on the RS/6000, but to date have not been tested by Niakwa.
- Configuration of SMIT is as follows:
- Terminal type: Dumb
- Flow control: XON/XOFF
- 2200flow: Enabled
- 2200print: Enabled
Contact a DigiBoard dealer for ordering and pricing information.