|April 1, 1997 No. 88|
MS-Windows NT/NTFS Security Problem Update
Since the introduction of NPL Release 4.2x, in December 1995, all MS-DOS RunTimes installed to NTFS partitions on MS-Windows NT Servers (Revision 3.51 and 4.0) may experience security problems in conjunction with automatic time changes to and from Daylight Savings Time.
The cause of this problem is due to workstations becoming out of sync with the MS-Windows NT Server files date and time stamps resulting in the user being prompted for their NPL Gold Key.
To correct the problem, perform the following steps:
- Logon on to the Server as "Administrator".
- Open the "Control Panel".
- Click the icon for "Date/Time".
- Reset the "Date", back to a date before the time correction.
- Recall NPL security to the Gold Key.
- Set the "Date" on the server back to the current date and time.
- Re-install NPL security to the MS-Windows NT Server.
This problem is resolved in NPL Release 4.22. In the future, any site reporting this problem may update the NPL executables on the MS-Windows NT Server to NPL Release 4.22 executables. This resolves the problem without requiring the steps listed above.